[gpodder-devel] Need suggestions: New layout for the shownotes window

  • From: sebastian at realpath.org (Sebastian Krause)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 22:50:51 +0200

"Thomas Perl" <thp at gpodder.org> wrote:
> The current shownotes dialog looks a bit boring and misses some
> features that can only be reached from the context menu of the
> episode list in the main window.
>
> Minimum UI requirements:
>
>  * Play / Stream
>  * Download
>  * Pause download
>  * Resume download
>  * Cancel download
>  * Visit website
>  * Progressbar / status area for download progress
>  * Text area / other UI for displaying the shownotes

First of call I would like to note that it would be a bad idea to
just add a whole lot of new columns; a least not by defaut because
it would make gPodder look cluttered.

=== Shownotes dialog ===

My suggestion is to add an area at the bottom of the list which
shows all the information of the currently selected episode. By
copying the episode details dialog into the main window I've created
a somewhat hackish mockup to show what I mean:

http://imgur.com/RGyZI.png

Maybe to the right of the text area which contains the description
could be another area (not in the mockup) that contains some other
detailed information like the link to the website, the length of the
podcast, file size etc. All the buttons at the bottom should be
ordered nicely because you require a lot of them, so here is the
danger of a cluttered interface again.

=== Other suggestions ===

The other thing that would be really nice is to make the "New
episodes" and "Remove old episodes" dialogs just tabs in the main
window like "Podcasts" and "Downloads" are. I personally dislike new
windows popping up because the always have the wrong size or are
just in the way of the application interface. For that technically
the episode list in the mockup and the new/remove dialogs could be
exactly the same element, but with different configurations: Make it
configurable which columns and buttons will be displayed and then
show the usual configuration in the show overview, but display the
selector elements in the new/remove dialog. I hope I'm not too
confusing or vague. :)