[gpodder-devel] Incorrect file sizes

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:11:59 +0100

Hello!

O. Emmerson wrote:
> I am subscribed to http://971freefm.com/pages/podcast/43.rss in gpodder.
> The file sizes show up incorrectly when the feed is loaded.  If I
> download a file then the correct size is then shown.

The error is in the RSS feed, not in gPodder. The RSS feed uses the
"length=" attribute of the <enclosure> element wrongly. The "length"
attribute should specify the size of the enclosed file in bytes, in the
metioned feed, the value seems to be (my guess) the length of the audio
in seconds. gPodder can't calculate the correct size.

One possibility would be to add a menu item to "calculate" the real file
size of all episodes by doing a HTTP HEAD request for each episode and
looking for the content-length header.

Is this important to you? Can you please try to contact the feed author
(probably 971freefm.com) and tell them to fix their _buggy_ RSS feed?