[gpodder-devel] How do you organize your podcasts on your player?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:56:16 +0200

Hello!

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 09:31 +0200, Bernd wrote:
> I am using a filebased player to listen to my podcasts. At the moment
> I use the Meizu M6 (http://en.meizu.com/product_m6.asp). Before it I
> used the Cowon IAudio X5.
> It's no problem to synchronize my podcasts with gPodder to my devices.
> But it's very painfull to organize my playlists.
>
> At the moment I use the following workflow:
> - plug in my device
> - synchronize the podcasts
> - open the playlist with a texteditor
> - open the podcast directory on my device to recognize the correct
> path and filename
> - manually write/modify the playlist to organize the episodes in the
> order I like to listen to it
>
> What's your workflow for listening to podcasts? What do you think
> about a build in solution in gPodder to manage playlists for devices?

I'm currently using gPodder + Panucci[1] on my N800. This way, I can
download podcasts wherever I am currently (only WiFi is needed), and I
can also listen to my podcasts and playback automatically resumes where
I last stopped it when I didn't finish one episode.

[1] http://thpinfo.com/2008/panucci/

For using a filesystem-based MP3 player, the best way would probably to
output and maintain a M3U file in the destination folder on the MP3
player. For this, we need to know if the MP3 player supports things like
relative paths and if it support both "/" and "\" or just one of them.

> I think there could be a problem with different implementation for
> playlist support on different devices. The IAudio X5 could read
> playlists with full path (including my mountpoint) and "/". But for
> the Meizu M6 you have to use "\" in your path information. And the
> Meizu M6 don't support full path information in the playlists. So I
> couldn't copy&paste this information on linux because I have to modify
> all "/" to "\" with the texteditor.
> Could a playlist support in gPodder be usefull for other people too?

You could file a feature request on bugs.gpodder.org. If you tell me how
M3Us should have their path set on the MP3 player (relative, absolute,
with / or \), it should not be too difficult to implement something like
that for Filesystem-based MP3 players.