[gpodder-devel] Can it do a "local podcast"?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:54:29 +0200

Hello, Jeff!

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 12:14 -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> I use mythTV to record TV programs and have scripts set up to
> re-encode them to iPod-size and create a podcast xml file for them.
> Problem is, I can't find a decent way to get them onto the iPod
> without using iTunes.

Well, looking at your e-mail and description of your problem, it gPodder
is not really suited for that kind of use (it's a podcatcher, not an
iPod manager, although it manages the podcasts on your iPod that you
download via gPodder).

I think what you need is a small Python script that uses python-gpod to
open the iTunesDB and add the video files to your device. This way, you
can easily add the Python script to your set of other scripts and have a
neat, working way of copying mythTV recordings to your iPod.

Basically, you want to have a look at src/gpodder/libipodsync.py in the
gPodder source. If you want me to write the script for you, just get in
touch via private mail.

If you really want to have a cheap and fast solution, you could simply
"download" your podcasts from a local HTTP server and sync to your iPod
then (hard disk space is cheap, and you can remove the episodes from
gPodder after syncing - gPodder currently won't delete episodes on the
iPod that have been removed from gPodder's download list).