[gpodder-devel] API Versioning?

  • From: koeglstefan at gmail.com (Stefan Kögl)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:05:56 +0200

Am 2011-01-27 17:03, schrieb Stefan K?gl:
> Am 2011-01-27 14:47, schrieb Stefan Derkits:

>> E.g. say that it is 2.2 at the Moment and every new Feature added to the
>> API (more JSON Data, new API Calls for new Features, ...) increments it
>> (to e.g. 2.3)
>
> Our current approach is to extend the API as needed while keeping it
> stable. Once we have to introduce a change that would break some
> clients, we increase the version number. From that point on, the
> previous version is frozen (and continues to work as before) and changes
> are only made to the next version.
>
> This keeps the number of versions low so that we can easily maintain and
> offer all API versions.

We've now clarified off-list that Stefan mainly proposed versioning the
changes, as an addition to the current scheme. I agree with the idea of
providing an overview of recently added features, so I think we should
adopt this versioning scheme.

Stefan, could you please open a bug report for this?

-- Stefan