[govinfo] GovInfo News -- 3-21-2007

  • From: "Patrice McDermott" <pmcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <govinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:49:59 -0400

Patrice McDermott, Director
OpenTheGovernment.org
www.openthegovernment.org
202.332.OPEN (6736)

- White House Breaking Records Law?
By Paul Kiel - March 15, 2007, 2:24 PM
A number of readers have pointed out that Karl Rove's deputy at the White
House, Scott Jennings, used an outside domain, gwb43.com, for his emails. The
domain, it turns out, is owned by the Republican National Committee.

Now Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has sent a letter to
House government reform committee Chairman Henry Waxman (D-CA) requesting an
investigation of whether the White House has been violating the Presidential
Records Act -- in an attempt to keep certain correspondence away from prying
eyes. more [TPMMuckraker] [thanks to Reporters Committee]

CREW letter

ALSO
E-mails released yesterday show that White House deputy political director J.
Scott Jennings communicated with Justice officials about the appointment of Tim
Griffin, a former Rove aide, to be the U.S. attorney in Little Rock. Jennings
used an e-mail account registered to the Republican National Committee, where
Griffin had worked as an opposition researcher. Democratic congressional aides
said they will investigate whether using the private address for government
business violated laws against using taxpayer resources for political work or
signaled that White House officials considered the firing of U.S. attorneys to
be primarily a political issue. Jennings did not return a call to his office
seeking a comment. "As a matter of course, the RNC provides server space and
equipment to certain White House personnel in order to assist them with their
political efforts," RNC spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said. more [WPost]

***
- Critical Infrastructure: Challenges Remain in Protecting Key Sectors.
GAO-07-626T, March 20
...Challenges most frequently cited included the lack of an effective
relationship with DHS as well as private sector hesitancy to share information
on vulnerabilities with the government or within the sector for fear the
information would be released and open to competitors. GAO's past work has
shown that a lack of trust in DHS and fear that sensitive information would be
released are recurring barriers to the private sector's sharing information
with the federal government...  more [GAO] Plus ça change...

***

-
NIST to decide on standards for e-records
BY Jason Miller
Published on March 20, 2007

The National Institute of Standards and Technology is determining whether to
make standards developed by the E-Records Management e-government project a
governmentwide requirement or just a guidance. ... One approach OMB might take
is to add the validation of records management standards to the work the agency
inspector generals already do. IGs certify how agencies meet the Federal
Information Security Management Act as well as privacy mandates. "If it becomes
a governmentwide standard configuration, then it solves the technology part
because we will not need to figure out how to transfer records," Evans said.
"Agencies can build all of this into the lifecycle of their investments." more
[FCW]

***

- CIO Council honors Schlarman, Andreessen with Azimuth Awards
BY Jason Miller
Published on March 20, 2007

The CIO Council picked two winners of the 2007 Azimuth Award that couldn't be
more different. The federal executive toiled in the government 34 years before
retiring last December. The industry executive was a millionaire by the time he
was 34, and now at 36 is heading up at least two new companies. ... Glenn
Schlarman, who worked for the FBI, Energy Department and the Office of
Management and Budget before stepping down last year, led the federal effort to
secure information and keep it private all the while understanding the
importance of information dissemination and accessibility. In some ways,
Schlarman had competing and complimentary jobs. ...

Schlarman, who slipped the presenter of his award, OMB's Deputy Director for
Management Clay Johnson, a note asking why he was there, truly was surprised by
the honor.   "I did not know I was going to make remarks tonight so I'm as
excited to hear them as you are," Schlarman said with his usual dry wit. "I am
here because of Karen. She allowed me to do a lot of things to people - well,
for people. She gave me a long leash that permitted us to do the things we can
do." more [FCW]

***

The Government Domain: GovTrack and OpenCongress Go Beyond THOMAS
By Peggy Garvin
Published March 18, 2007

It is springtime, and a thousand flowers are blooming in the world of open web
congressional data. I would like to focus on two projects: GovTrack and
OpenCongress. A few additional, related sites that I won't cover in detail are
listed at the end of this column. more

***
- ICANN participation website
The Lisbon meeting for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number
(ICANN) is being held between 26-30 March 2007, and this is its online
participation website. Available here will be: a rundown of each meeting
complete with full details, including panellists; topics for discussions; links
to resources and presentations; and links to webcasts and audiocasts where
available.  more [thanks to beSpacific.com]