[goodfeel] Re: Writing Your Music with Lime

  • From: Debra Baxley <debra.baxley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:18:46 -0500

I have been able to give my piece a title. The title was under "Text Category," instead of "Text Assistant."

Debra
On 4/15/2014 10:49 AM, Debra Baxley wrote:
How do I give my composition a file name? It will not take any of the file names suggested in the Guide or in your presentation.

Debra
On 4/15/2014 8:54 AM, Bill wrote:

Here's a quick overview of how to create a new piece in Lime using the Lime Aloud scripts. The following detailed description expands on the first paragraph you will find under the heading of

"Entering Notes into the Score"

Found in The Lime Aloud Guide. You should find a shortcut to the Lime Aloud Guide in the submenu of Lime under the Windows Start Menu.

Run Lime

The welcome message tells you that you are running the Lime Aloud scripts and to press CONTROL+O to open an existing Lime file or File | New to create a new one.

Press ALT+F and then type the letter N to open the New Piece Dialog.

The first field in the dialog will probably contain 16 which is the default number of measures in your new piece. You can enter any number you like up to, I believe, 999.

Press TAB to move to the Beats per measure field. This number is the top number in the Time Signature. Examples are 4 as in 4/4 time; 6 as in 6/8 time, 5 as in 5/16 time. It is set to 4 by default but you can enter whatever number you like although once you exceed 20 you are probably on shaky ground.

TAB again to move to the Beat Value indicator field. This number is the lower number in the Time Signature such as 4 in 2/4 time; 2 in 3/2 time; or 16 in 7/16 time.

Tab again to move to the Measures per System field. This number tells Lime how many measures to show on each print line or system of music notation. 4 is a safe number.

Tab again to move to System per Page. This number tells Lime how many lines or systems of music to place on each print page. 4 is a safe number for keyboard music written on the grand staff (see below). 8 or even 10 is good for single-line instruments such as flute or cello.

Tab again to move to the field for the Name of First Part in your score. Use a traditional name such as "Violin", "Soprano", or "Trumpet." That is, avoid names like "Lead" or "Harmony."

Tab again to 2 buttons. Choose "Single Staff" or "Grand Staff." In print, music for instruments such as piano and harp is written on a grand staff that consists of a treble staff and a bass staff joined together. Consequently, the grand staff takes up about twice the vertical space as a single staff.

Tab once again to the OK button and press space. Lime displays its main notation window containing empty measures grouped according to your instructions per the new Piece dialog which you have just closed.

Press CONTROL+K to open Lime's Key Signature dialog if you want to compose your piece in a key other than C Major. Enter the number of sharps or flats in the new key. Tab once and then choose the button for sharp or for flat. This dialog contains a number of other useful fields but for setting up your new piece you need not alter any of them right now. You can simply press ENTER to close the dialog.

Now, refer to the section "Entering Notes into the Score" in the Lime Aloud Guide. Start by entering notes from your PC keyboard. If you have an electronic, musical keyboard connected to your PC, experiment with the other two methods of entering notes and chords from the musical keyboard.

Remember to save your piece from time to time. The Un-do option under Lime's Edit menu can be very useful for those times when you make a mistake. If you cannot un-do something, you can always close Lime without saving your piece. Then, you can return to Lime and open the piece which will at least be as you last saved it.

To read more about the Lime Aloud feature and to hear an audio presentation I made using it some years ago:

www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/limealoud.htm

Happy composing.

Bill

No virus found in this message.