[goodfeel] Some Q&A for GOODFEEL and Lime Users

  • From: "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:23:44 -0400

Dear All,

Here's a recent exchange of questions and answers I have had with a new
customer who is taking some remote training from Dancing Dots.  This student
is enrolled in a post-secondary music degree program and these questions and
answers will probably be of interest to many of you.

She is using Lime Aloud with Lime and GOODFEEL to create print scores of
class assignments for her professor to read.  BTW, her teacher asks her to
submit her work in the form of pdf documents.  I found a freeware pdf
converter online called CutePDF which you may want to download and install.
It adds CutePDF to your lists of Windows printers.  When you select CutePDF
from the standard Windows print dialog used with CONTROL+P you will be
prompted to enter a filename.  See http://www.cutepdf.com/ for details.

Q&A

1. How do I delete a half rest within a measure?

See your notes file for procedure to "kill" notes and rests by enabling the
Enable Duration Edit feature under Lime's Edit menu.  .  Before pressing
CONTROL+DELETE, make certain that you are not in Note Entry mode by pressing
the letter n as in Nancy.

Note:  Always turn off that Enable Duration Edits feature as soon as you
have completed your edit.  If you leave it enabled, you can unintentionally
make a mess of your Lime document.

2. How do I change pages? How do I create another page if I suddenly find I
need one? I don't know how long the assignments are when I start so I don't
know how much room I need. How do I switch back & forth between pages?

Shortcut is CONTROL+LEFT BRACKET for previous page and CONTROL+RIGHT BRACKET
for next.  Or press ALT+P to open Lime's Page menu.

3. Workbook assignments have no notes. Just notate clef & key signature.
Sometimes I get silence when I press control f. Why?

When you first pres CONTROL+F to open Lime's Clef dialog, JAWS should say
"Please wait".  Sometimes this dialog opens right away and sometimes it
takes 20 seconds or more.  The reason it does so is quite technical.  Does
JAWS not say "Please wait" when you press CONTROL+F?  if not, try
INSERT+CONTROL+ESCAPE to refresh the scripts.  But be patient after pressing
that key combination because it can take a few seconds for that operation to
complete successfully too.

Also how do I set up these assignments? They are in units. Each unit has
several parts:

We might try creating blank Lime templates for each type.

 scales to notate,

 We have already created such files using Lime.

 key signatures without notes to notate,

 Doable in Lime but it will show rests.  Lime does not allow you to show
blank staff paper with only keys and clefs.  If you can accomplish that in
Word or with some other word processor, that would be best.  Or just let
your teacher know of this limitation in Lime and ask if that's OK with him.

 rhythms to notate

Lime can show X-shaped noteheads that indicate rhythm.  It can also show
rhythms with notes with no heads.  We can send a sample of both to your
teacher and ask which he prefers.

& sometimes melodies to notate.

Again, we have already accomplished that task.

I'd like to have 1 Lime file for each unit but don't know how to set it up.
Melodies & rhythms are each 4 measures long.

Let's try templates.

Does Lime not allow clef changes where there are no notes? I have this in
workbook & don't know how to do it. I wound up using a word processor.

Lime will allow you to change clefs at start of new system as we did during
the last lesson.  Use the letter c to check clef and staff/system number.
First measure of a system is also the place to indicate key changes.
However, Lime insists on showing empty measures.  That is, you cannot create
a piece that has no measures in it.  So word processor would be best for
those kinds of exercises.

4. Prof says my intervals are right but I really need a bar line before last
note of interval. What's the difference between a bar line & a measure? I
thought they were the same but find they are not. Had lots of trouble at
first because I thought I could just delete bar lines & that would delete
measures but that's not right. Prof said don't do the intervals over again
but I think it's more technically correct to have the bar line before last
interval note. I don't think you & I notated intervals that way. If so I
missed it completely so need another lesson on that.

I need to understand better what he is asking you to do.  We can discuss
tomorrow.  If you have the text of the assignment, send it to me beforehand.

5. Upcoming stuff: inversions. Interval inversions. Then triad inversions. I
have no idea how to notate them.

Yes you do because you enter them the same way as we have been entering
intervals.  That is, select the rhythm and play the note or notes you want
on your keyboard.

Also before this quarter ends we'll have Roman numerals such as appear on
lead sheets. Are Roman numerals somewhere in the annotation menu?

You can enter Roman Numerals as "Other" text annotations or as "Chord"
annotations.  We can create some samples and ask your teacher what looks
best to him.

6. I occasionally wind up in About Lime. How do I get out of that screen?

 Press space bar on "Continue".

 7. Can I set Lime up to do a whole unit of Workbook exercises?

 Depends on what that unit asks you to do and on what your teacher accepts
as discussed above.

 How do I write words in Lime like workbook asks for scale degrees, key
signatures etc. It's filling in blanks. Can Lime do this? I used Word for
it.

 Depends on the specific assignment but there may be situations where Word
is a better choice than Lime.

 Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann