[goodfeel] Re: Selecting a Bar at a Time?

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 17:19:15 -0500

Q. What is the difference between Lime's Copy Measures function and its Copy
Music function?

A.
Under Lime's Edit menu you will find an entry that says "Copy Measures" and
one that says "Copy Music."  Notice that the shortcut key for Copy Music is
CONTROL+C.

Use Copy Measures to copy entire measures of music.  Often, you will do so
in tandem with inserting blank measures into which you will paste the
measures you have copied

Copy Measures function places all the information in each measure to be
copied onto the Windows clipboard.  That is, if the measures in question
contain annotations (lyrics, for example), those annotations are copied onto
the clipboard along with all the notes in the measures.

In other words, the Copy Measures entry is like a "Select All" command for a
range of measures that also performs the traditional Edit | Copy to
clipboard function resulting from pressing CONTROL+C.  That is, just by
choosing "Copy Measures", you have placed the material onto the Windows
clipboard without the need to press CONTROL+C.

On the other hand Lime's Copy Music function is identical to pressing
CONTROL+C.  You would do so after holding down the SHIFT key and pressing
the right or left arrows to select a series of individual notes.  I almost
never have used the "Copy Music" entry under Lime's menu.  That is, I
generally just press CONTROL+C after selecting the notes as it is faster.

The important thing to understand is that when you use the SHIFT key with
the arrow keys to select a series of notes, that is all that you are
selecting.  Any annotations in the measure are not copied.  Another
consideration is that selecting notes with the SHIFT key plus the arrow keys
limits you to notes that are on a particular page.  For example, let's say
that you want to copy the notes of the last 2 beats of measure 16 and the
notes from the first 2 beats of measure 17.  And let's say that bar 16 is
the last measure of the first page of your piece and that bar 17 appears at
the start of the second page.  You must perform the select and copy
procedure twice in this case.  The first time you select the notes of the
last 2 beats of bar 16, move to where you wish to paste them and press
CONTROL+V.  The second time, you select the notes from the first 2 beats of
bar 17, move to where you wish to paste them, and paste those notes there.

However, if you had wanted to copy both measure 16 and 17 in their entirety,
you would just move to bar 16, choose Copy Measures from the Edit menu, move
to where you want to paste those measures, and press CONTROL+V to paste.
Page boundary is not an obstacle.

After issuing either the Copy Measures or Copy Music command, your clipboard
contains material.  You can move to any place in your score and press
CONTROL+V to paste that material starting at that bar and beat.

We at dancing Dots realize that it would be useful to offer many more
options for selectively selecting material using keyboard commands.  We have
a wish list for future versions of Lime that will offer the blind user many
more options for selecting particular types of data such as all of the
lyrics in a particular measure.

Q. would I use the copy measures option if I need to transpose a whole part
i.e., copy all of the measures on the page in the part, then apply the
transpose

A.
If you want to transpose the entire part, use the options under Lime's Key
Signature dialog.  Press CONTROL+K to open or find Key Signature under
Lime's Symbol menu.

If you only want to transpose a portion of the part, use SHIFT with the
arrow keys to select the series of notes to be transposed.  Next, use the
Transpose entry under Lime's Note menu.  ALT+N and then type the letter T.

Here's an encore excerpt from a post I sent to our list on October 6, 2013,
that I hope will clarify the use of the Copy measures feature for you.

###

it will help you to know about Lime's Copy Measure feature.  You will find
it under Lime's Edit menu.

First, it is always a good idea to save your piece before undertaking a
major
editing project.  Next, think about how many empty measures you will need.
For
example, if you plan to copy 12 measures of music, make sure that you have
at
least 12 empty measures of your score available to receive them.

To insert measures, move to the place where you want to insert the empty
measures and press CONTROL+I to open Lime's Insert dialog.  Pay attention to

all of the options presented in this dialog.

Be careful.  After you press ENTER or space bar on the OK button of the
Insert
dialog, press the letter b to check your bar and beat position.  Sometimes,
Lime places you at the end of the new section of blank measures and
sometimes
it places you at the start of the system that precedes the inserted
measures..

To copy measures:

Move to the first beat of the first measure which you want to copy.

Press ALT+E, and then type the letter M to open the Copy Measures dialog.

Explore the options you find there and decide if you want to copy only from
the
current voice or part, from all voices on current staff, or from all staves
in
your piece.

Once you press OK to close this dialog, the measures you have copied are in
the
Windows clipboard.

Now, move to the first beat of the bar where you want to paste the copied
measures.  Press CONTROL+V to paste them there.

If you should find that things did not go as planned, try using Edit | Undo
get you back to where you started from.  If that strategy does not yield the

desired results, you can always close Lime, say "No" to the prompt to save
your
file, reopen Lime and open the version of your piece which you saved
earlier.
Keep trying until you get the results you want.

Bill