[goodfeel] Re: Brailling Percussion Parts

  • From: Elizabeth Heiserman <braillescriber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:52:00 -0600

Dani,

There is a whole chapter devoted to brailling percussion in the Handbook for
Braille Music from NBA.
I will quote a bit of it here, but highly recommend you look into getting this
book. It has been very helpful for me in formatting music for analysis.

...percussion parts are usually printed in a score arrangement on one staff or
a system of staves or lines, and multiple copies of the score are given to all
of the players.
To transcribe such a score into braille, use a full open-score presentation
with a separate braille line for each instrument, even if several have been
printed on one staff. Align the measures vertically in a simplified
bar-over-bar format. Preserve the vertical arrangement of the print, with the
lowest note on the staff being brailled on the lowest line of the parallel.
Leave a blank line between parallels; two blank lines are not necessary, as
they would be in a typical ensemble score...

Hope this helps.

Betsy Heiserman