[goodfeel] Re: A Few Questions

  • From: Bill McCann <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:27:51 +0000

Hi, Alex,

Welcome to our list.

1. enter a pick-up measure at the beginning of a piece. Should I just add a
full measure with rests until the pick-up note comes in?

2. enter simultaneous notes into one hand

3. create multiple staves for a 4-hand piano piece, multi-voice work, etc.

Move to start of piece.

CONTROL+I to open insert measures dialog.

Insert a measure with Time Signature equal to the total duration of the
pick-up measure.  For example, to account for a pick-up measure of a
quarter-note or of a number of notes that equal the length of a quarter-note
, enter a measure of 1/4 time.

After you close insert dialog:

Move to first note in piece.

ALT+E, O and set measure number to 0.

To delete any measure, move to start of that measure and press CONTROL+D to
open the Delete dialog.

I found the text above by searching the archives for our GOODFEEL listserv
using the term "pick-up".  Someone asked a similar question back in 2010.  I
encourage all members to search the archives as it represents years of
information.  Of course, I invite you to post here if you do not find what you
need or if you need further help.

The searchable archives are found at:
//www.freelists.org/archive/goodfeel/

2. enter simultaneous notes into one hand

If you have a musical keyboard, this task is simple because you can just play
the notes you want to enter.  If you are entering notes from the PC keyboard,
it is usually possible to press multiple keys simultaneously on the home row of
the PC keyboard to enter chords.  Ironically, the more expensive keyboards have
a feature that blocks you from pressing more than one key at a time.   But if
one or more of the notes of the chord you want to enter is outside of the range
of the PC keyboard, you must:

Press CONTROL+N to enter note entry mode.

Enter some of the notes from the PC keyboard.

Press LEFT ARROW to move back to the position where you have just entered notes.

Shift the octave using the left or right bracket keys or the Keyboard Shift
option under Lime's Hear menu.  Shortcut keys are ALT+H, K.

Type the number 8 above the letter I to enable the add-note function.

Now play the notes you wish to add to the chord.  Make sure that Lime receives
all of the key presses you have made.  That is, depending on your PC keyboard,
you may have to repeat this step.

3. create multiple staves for a 4-hand piano piece, multi-voice work, etc.

You may find a template that is just what you want or very close to what you
want in a folder called "Lime Templates" within the folder "Music" within your
Shared or Public documents folder.  There is a shortcut from the Lime entry on
the Start menu.

See my note from yesterday on adding voices to a part.  Quick review:

Move to start of piece.

Use Lime's Parts and Voices menu to add a new voice to an existing part or to
add a new part to your piece.  In lime, each part is written on its own staff.
Parts can have one or more voices.

Press ALT+V, V to open the Parts and Voices dialog.

Focus will be on the list of current parts.  If your piece already contains
more than 1 part, be sure to arrow down to the part you want to modify before
adding a voice by pressing ALT+A.

Press ALT+N to add a new part.  The new part will appear after the part
currently highlighted in the list of parts.

HTH,
Bill