[gmpi] Re: conventions opinion

  • From: "Jack O'Quin" <joq@xxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:37:09 -0600

Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:45:35PM -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
>> I vote for at least following the oldest and most basic C convention:
>> ALL_CAPS is for #define macro names, never for real variables.
>
> I think that's true for C++, too..
>
>> Traditionally, actual C variables are all or mostly lower case, but
>> mixed case is OK as long as we don't violate the rule above, IMHO.
>
> Thanks for the non-answer :)  I was looking for opinions one way or the
> other exactly because I see valid justifications for both ways.

It's mainly personal preference.  I prefer lower case, because it's
easier to read.  (There are studies supporting that).  But, I figure
it should be up to those doing most of the work (so probably not me).

I do think the ALL_CAPS issue is important.  Many programmers who see
GMPI_RESULT are going to start looking for where that macro is
defined.  If it's really a typedef, that will confuse them (and
embarrass us).  I prefer `gmpi_result', but would never insist on it
being all lower case.
--
  joq