[gmpi] Re: Time Summary, MIDI plugins

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:35:33 +1200

> >  However, in a
> > MIDI-only graph situation, you end up with a scenario where, for
> > low latency, the system must constantly, in effect, poll the graph
> > for data by pumping process-requests through it. ...... It is kinda ugly
though.

> Q: Can this be avoided at all?

SynthEdit supports both MIDI and Audio plugins via the same API....

What SynthEdit MIDI plugins do, is tell the host "Don't call my process()
routine untill an event arrives".  I call it Sleep-Mode.  It's also usefull
for inactive Audio plugins (e.g. a synth that's not playing any notes).
  Inactive plugins use zero CPU.  MIDI (should I say Music-Event) plugins
use next-to-zero CPU.

It's easy, efficient, and dosn't involve 'polling' event-based plugins.
Usefull concept???

Best Regards,
Jeff M