[gmpi] Summary 7.1.1, 7.1.2

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:37:49 -0700 (PDT)

Since no one is objecting to the close of 7.1.2: how does this sound, so
far?

Summary of Topic 7 to date:

7.1.1 Interleaving or Lack Thereof
----------------------------------
All hosts and plugins MUST support non-interleaved data for plugin I/O.

TBD: Based on as-yet-unknown benchmarks, this specification might be
extended to include a per-plugin preference for interleaved data.  This
extension will be included if and only if sufficient net performance gains
can be demonstrated for some class of plugins.  Should this beadded, the
following additional issues must be resolved:

  * Is the preference plugin-global (all ins/outs), context global
    (all ins, all outs, or both), or per input/ouput?

  * At what point of plugin existance is the preference acknowledged or
    denied?

  * When may the host change the format?

7.1.2 Datatypes
---------------
A single datatype is not sufficient to support all the platforms GMPI is
intended to support.  In very general terms, a plugin MUST identify the
datatype it expects for I/O.  This datatype is used for all I/O to and from
the plugin.

TBD: It is unclear at this point whether there is a need for different
datatypes within a single plugin.  If and only if the need is justified,
this specification might be extended to include multiple datatypes, at a
granularity finer than the entire plugin.

TBD: An ancillary API might be desirable to convert GMPI-standard datatypes
in a host-transparent way.