[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - abs. vs rel. timestamps

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:54:20 +0100

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 00.09, Tim Hockin wrote:
[...]
> Based on this, I'm inclined to believe we have come to decide that
> event timestamps are 32 bit offsets from the start of the buffer.

There is this "wrapping timestamp" alternative as well, but it's a bit
messier than offsets from the start of the buffer, and doesn't really
buy anything on the API level. Well, except in a modular synth with
lots of "small block" subnets for low latency feedback. That is,
buffer splitting, but that's still doable - and a bit out of scope
for GMPI, I think.

So: "32 bit offsets from the start of the buffer."

I guess 16 bit would do as well, but that's pointless (unless we need
the saved bits for something) and slightly restrictive WRT buffer
size for off-line and heavily buffered rendering. Then again, large
buffers can *really* hurt (cache thrashing), so it actually makes
sense to use relatively small buffers anyway... Oh well.