[gmpi] Re: [OT] CoreAudio communication

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 06:13:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Davis wrote:

>  [ just to clarify my question ... ]
>
> >> exist, and what their parameters are. how do i do this? AFAICT, AU is
> >> totally rooted in the in-address-space-and-execution-context model of
> >> a plugin, and thus the only context in which you can discover plugins
> >> is the context of the host itself.
> >
> >I don't understand.  AU discovery happens via the Component Manager in
> >Mac OS X.  It's a framework that accessible via any process, any app,
> >any plugin, etc.  Your AU plugin can find and open AUs in exactly the
> >same way that the host app does.
>
> no, i don't mean what AUs exist on the system. i mean what AUs exist
> exist as components in a particular instance of a given host, since my
> listener wants to control specific existing instances, not just know
> that a particular AU is installed. my impression is that no part of
> Carbon supports this (it would really verge on inter-app communication
> for AU...)

Oh, I gotcha, sorry for my confusion.  Right, you can't be aware of an AU
instance unless you are the one who opened the instance (or the one who
opened it told you about it).  You could have your AU create a virtual
MIDI input or output if you wanted interapplication MIDI via it, though,
and maybe similarly with audio, but I'm not sure about the audio part, if
there's a similar feature there yet...

Marc

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com