[gmpi] Re: DirectShow review

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:27:21 -0400

> Do we get a DXi review, too?

Yes, and an MFX review, too.

> >    Time is represented in a type called REFERENCE_TIME, which is a
64-bit
> >    signed integer whose durational unit is 100 nanoseconds.
> Can you elaborate on the pros/cons of this?

I could, but it's out of scope of the summary, isn't it?  Were we
supposed to editorialize like this in that document.

Anyway, pros are it's a more hi-res time format than any sample rate,
and conversions to samples are simple.  Cons are its a forced
non-tempo time base, which made it harder to do some of the synths
stuff we were trying to
do in DXi.

> >    Arbitrary data types are supported.  99% of all commercial
DirectShow
> >    plug-ins support 32-bit IEEE floating point data, definitely
> > the
>
> Can you elaborate on HOW?

I don't understand the question.  Data is put in a buffer, assumed to
be WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT.  Nominal range is -1/+1, though plugins are
permitted to produce overdriven output.

> >    Plug-ins are free to process in-place, or not, depending on their
> >    needs.  The DirectShow SDK provides samples of both kinds of
> >    processing.
> How does a plugin indicate this, and how does it work?  Host
> decided?

Not indicated by plugin, nor asked for by host.  DirectShow is a
so-called "baton passing" buffer model.  If you process in place, you
party on the baton you were given and pass it along.  If you don't,
you ask the host's memory allocate for a new baton to fill and pass
along.