[gmpi] AW: Re: Topic 1: Audience for and users of plugins

  • From: "Marc Kamradt" <mac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:56:18 +0100

> 4) Gaming consoles
> 5) Handheld devices

> Regarding 4, I'll defer to others. Do we have representation/interest
from
> the gaming console community? If not we should skip it.

From my twelve years of experience in the video gaming industry I can
state that playing back a couple of sample streams and maybe applying
some simple filters and/or reverb effects is more than sufficient for
99% of today's and mid-future games. Unless consoles get a really
powerfull DSP, sufficient amounts of RAM and lots of off-the-box plugins
with their development kit only a handful of developers will care.

Musicians need the flexibility of tweaking the plugins in realtime -
Game developers primarily need simple playback functionality.

> Regarding 5, I'd advise strongly against it. The embedded world is
> profoundly different from the desktop/laptop world. I don't see real
> convergence anytime soon.

I just want to throw in that it is probably every musicians dream to
have a mobile studio in his handheld PC. These machines get more
powerful like every PC does and with some of the current handheld PCs it
would definitely be possible to run a small virtual studio setup to take
down some ideas while being on the road.

I'd really like to keep them in mind but this should not really be a
problem. After all these are PCs with some different hardware setup.

Marc