[glideplan_swproj] GeographicLib

  • From: Tomáš Zámečník <pulcik@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: glideplan_swproj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:14:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,
I added new third party library (it's small part) to Updraft.
It is GeographicLib
http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/
which is used for geographical computation. I use it for computing distances
between two points.

For your interest:
This computation was published in article before a few months:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.4448.pdf
The method is (according to the article) better than widespread used Vincenty’s
method.
(e.g. it converges for every pair of input points (Vincenty doesn't guarantee
this for some extreme inputs))

So, now we can say that we really compute the shortest distance on WGS84 :) ;-)

T.

//www.freelists.org/list/glideplan_swproj