[glenpark] Critical Media Literacy and Internet Safety

  • From: "Glen Park" <info@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <glenpark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:46:49 -0500

Hello everyone,
On Thursday, October 28th, we held our first "Critical Media Literacy Night", at Glen Park. An important part of being critically literate is learning how to examine and analyze information in order to distinguish fact vs. fiction.
Detective Glen McBryde spoke to Parents, Guardians and Teachers about some of the dangers in our changing digital, media-rich world. He spoke about applying everyday common sense to the online world. For example, "You would never take your child to someone's house for the first time without meeting a parent/ guardian/ child first... so why would we leave our children to roam the internet alone without seeing what they are doing?"
Our students are bombarded with media messages everyday and it is our collective duty to supervise them and prepare them to think critically when faced with such information.

At Glen Park, we are committed to keeping our students safe online. We enco urage families to guide students and monitor use when using the internet. If you detect of sense potential dangers and/ or cyber-bullying, please do not hesitate to call the school.

Attached you will find some useful resources for keeping your family safe on the internet.

Thank you.

info@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.glenpark.ca