[ggo-discussion] glGo: new webpage, new version

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:53:52 +0200

Cheers,
I moved the glGo webpage to http://de.geocities.com/peterstrempel/
Yes, geocities and advs suck, this is a temporary location but will do for
now. I am not in the mood to pay for a webhost at the moment, though. I am
mentioning this as the updater checker of the last version would now
infinitely check the old page and never yell about new updates anymore. If
anyone knows a good free (or inexpensive) webhost, please tell me.

The latest version adds a nice 2D board, which looks quite similar to the
gGo/Java display. There is one drawback, though, one can only open one at
the same time right now. I am unsure if there is a workaround, the SDL
library I used for this basically offers only one screen (usually
fullscreen), the usual game environments hardly require multiple windows.
Embedding this screen into a Windows window was a major pain and ugly hack,
but the display quality is most excellent. Commercial games use this
library, and I can see why.
When opening a second board the framebuffer will get confused (or I am too
confused programming this).
There are certainly more 2D library available without these limitations,
but I know of none which would support Linux, too. SDL runs natively on
Windows using DirectX and Linux using the available X drivers. And trashing
Linux support sounds like a bad idea to me. And as far as I know, DirectX
wouldnt want to run in several windows within one program, too. The problem
with these libraries is, they usually want to run in one own window or
fullscreen, not inside "foreign" managed GUI frames, and worse, within
several of them. Maybe there is some ugly workaround, I have not found it
yet. :)

The OpenGL 3d board is of course still there, you can switch between both
types in the preferences dialog. The 3d boards are unlimited, you can open
as many of them as you want, just the 2D board is currently limited (1x 2D
+ unlimited 3D boards is also possible). I see the 2D board as add-on for
those who dont want or have trouble with OpenGL. And it is significantly
faster.

The IGS client code made a little progress, there are now player and games
tables like in gGo, and observing basically works (uh, don't observe more
than one game with the 2D board active, it will crash. Multiple observing
with 3D boards is fine.) Playing games is not yet supported, if you do or
answer "match" in the terminal, it will be simply ignored. Hopefully that
will come soon, else this thing is quite useless. :)
Overall glGo made not too much progress (and gGo none at all), I am quite
low on free time at the moment and hardly worked on the clients during the
last three weeks at all.

  Peter