[ggo-discussion] Re: gGo local server

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:41:26 +0100

On 20.12.2004, at 21:52, Remco Veldkamp wrote:

> Does anyone know what the 'local server' feature in gGo is for and how
> it
> works? (preferences->advanced)
>
> I can telnet to localhost 9999 and the connection is established but
> there is
> no response.. Is it someting that will be developed in the future?

This is some ugly hack to prevent multiple Java instances to open if
you use gGo as standard SGF viewer via Windows Explorer / Konquerer /
Nautilus / Finder / whatever. The problem is, if you open a SGF file, a
new gGo instance would start, so you end up with an own gGo and Java VM
for each game you open. That's not good, considering Java memory usage.
So the first gGo instance which starts opens a socket on localhost:9999
and listens on that. The next gGo instance which is opened with a SGF
file as parameter tries to connect to this socket. If it exists,
another gGo is already running, so it pipes the filename over the
socket and quits itself, and the first instance opens the file in a new
window.

Probably the word "local server" is quite misleading. It's nothing to
do with playing Go. But as this might be a security risk if you run
without firewall, I added an option to turn it off. On the other hand,
if someone is running without firewall, he has more serious problems
than someone hacking his Go client. :)

Peter