[ggo-discussion] Re: gGo crashes machine?

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 05:46:26 +0100

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 03:56:07PM -0500, Jeffrey Nowakowski wrote:
> My main motivation is to learn by trying things out against the
> computer.  So from this perspective it would be nice if I could say
> something like "Computer Black" from the menu on any given board.
> This is a common feature that I familiar with in chess programs.  Any
> chance of getting this feature in?

See preview release 0.3.5pre1. I added a menuitem "Switch sides" to the Edit
menu of the GNU Go board window, this switches the sides with the computer
opponent. Obviously, if you started the game as Human vs. Human or GTP vs.
GTP, this has not much effect.

By the way, is "Switch sides" correct english? Sounds a bit odd to me, but I
don't find something better right now. I am no native english speaker.

It won't change the game info, where the player names are initialized as
Black/White being Computer/Human from the setup dialog, but this would be a
bit chaotic and just cosmetical.

Hope this helps. :)

The test.sgf you mailed previously is now properly loaded. If a resumed game
has a boardsize different than the boardsize given in the GTP setup dialog,
the size from the SGF file will overwrite the setup dialog.
However, the setup dialog is still important when resuming a game as it
defines which side the computer will play, as that information is not in a
SGF file. But it should be easier to adjust now with the new switch sides
feature if you accidently loaded the game with wrong player setup.

 Peter