[ggo-discussion] Re: gGo, OSS, netlag and cheating

  • From: "Randall" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:38:44 -0800

Kristof said on 2003-02-09:
> > This sounds like unnecassary work and efforts
> I belive it's not unnecessary, because it could make (most of) gGo
> open-source again.

<snip>

> Technically, they can do this, but it's not open source.
> Some people (like me) are troubled by this.

Frankly, I'm a little troubled by it too.  But I'm more troubled by what
appears to be a terrible protocol design.  One of the cardinal rules of
client/server computing is that you can't trust the client.

I run Debian too, Kristof, and I value the tangible and intangible benefits
of Free software.  But there are few more intractable problems than the
security of client software in a competitive environment.  Remember the hue
and cry when id software released the source code for Quake 1?  Cheating
became pandemic because the barrier to entry for cheaters had been lowered
considerably.

I think the proposal to split gGo into two apps is a good idea, but would
take an awful amount of time.  Even that wouldn't placate the most vocal
die-hards though, so Peter would still be in a losing position.

Peter's understandably concerned about his reputation and the future of his
software, and is trying to make the best of a bad situation.  The solution
here is fix the core problem, not apply a band-aid that has negative side
effects.

Randall