[ggo-discussion] Re: gGo 0.3.2 released

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:30:20 +0100

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:33:15AM +1300, <s.yeates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> *) In the file save dialog when you change directories it forgets the
>    default filename (this may be a java bug not a gGo bug).

Java issue. I use the Swing File Save Dialog, which deletes the filename
when changing directories. Unless I write my own save dialog, this won't
change. And I really don't plan to do that. :) On Windoze, the Swing dialog
nicely integrates with the Windows save dialog, which is a pretty nifty
feature.

> *) In the players window sorting by idle time sorts wrong (minutes and
>    seconds intermingled).

Hmm right. The field is a string, and I dont convert something like "10s" or
"10m" into an integer as 10 or 600 when sorting. It might not be a big deal
to do, but I wonder if it is of any use, and might slow down the table
sorting even more. I think I leave this as it is. The default sorting by
rank + name seems to be the only really useful one to me anyways.

Btw, the problem with calling Stats on the "*" player accounts of replayed
games you mentioned earlier, I simply forgot to fix that.

> *) If there is a '*' in the player name this appears in the default
>    filename and this then breaks the file saving code.

Need to check that myself. The "*" within the rank works when saving:
"ABC5d*-XYZ4d*.sgf" is a valid filename. No idea why a "*" after the name
would break it when a "*" after the rank does not right now. Need to see
that error in action myself first.

> *) There is no check to determine whether the default file-name already
>    exists. This is very common if you are following the progress of
>    players.

Actually, there is... ?
When you save a game the first time, a check for an existing filename is
run. However, I can imagine right now what might be going wrong. I wrote
that check for the SGF editor. Here a new game has not yet a filename, so
when you save it the first time, you get the file save dialog, enter a
filename, then the check for existing file is run. But the observed IGS
games get a default filename - unlike a normal SGF editor game, so maybe the
check isnt used here. Need to dig through that code, cannot exclude
something goes wrong here.

 Peter