[ggo-discussion] Re: Variations in observed Teaching Games

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:17:37 +0200

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:49:27PM -0400, Nazif, Zaher A. wrote:

> I used version 0.4 (Windows NT, Java 1.4.1)
> to observe a teaching game between yly and someone else.
> I started to observe in the middle but saw a lot of
> Undo moves.
> When it was done, I saved the .sgf file.
> However, when I reopened the .sgf I was expecting to see variations.
> However, I did not have any.
> Am I missing something? Do I need to set some preference?

Theoretically you are not missing something. For observed teaching games
(and only for those) I now differ two "modes":
"Variation mode" (this is the default when a teaching game gets observed)
will/should save the undos as variations, but navigating is disabled (too
complex otherwise)
"Navigation mode" is the old mode, without variations and with navigation.
This is also the normal usage for normal observed games and own games.

So, when you open a teaching game, it will automatically switch to
"Variation mode". however, as this is not always desired, thinking about
tournament broadcasts, you can go back to "Navigation mode" again using the
Edit menu. This is a one-way road, though. Once back to old mode, you cannot
enable variations again. The whole thing is a bit tricky, as IGS does not
support variations, so the client has to simulate the whole feature somehow.

Now, in theory when you save a game in "Varation mode", reopening it in the
SGF editor should have the variations. You don't need to configure anything
for that. Of course, if you had switched the game to "Navigation mode" while
observing, and *then* saved, you only get the variations that happened
before you switched. At least that worked when I tested the feature. I
observed a MyMaster lesson and afterwards got the complete review including
all undos.

The whole variation thing is not trivial. The client has to do a lot of
stuff without support from the server. Just imagine you lose connection and
have to re-observe the game. Then all former variations will be lost,
because the server does not know anything about past undos. So comparing to
the KGS review mode, gGo will never get at that level simply because there
is no server-side support for this feature.

Regarding your second mail, it does not matter which SGF editor you use. gGo
saves in standard SGF FF[4] format, which is used by most recent editors
(except some of the really old ones). There is nothing "gGo-only" in the SGF
files - I dont work for Microsoft :*)

Anyways, I dont want to exclude something went wrong. I did some testing
with the feature during the development, but not anymore since the 0.4
release. I will have a look this weekend. I currently somewhat lack
motivation to work on gGo, so don't expect a fix (if broken) to soon. :)

 Peter