[ggo-discussion] Re: A few bugs

  • From: "Jarkko Lindblad" <jarkkojpl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 18:54:30 +0200

> I disabled the false-eye-detector for IGS games again. The problem is, IGS

Great.

> does score false eyes as points. Now without going into a sophisticated
> rules discussion, I don't care if IGS does or not or if that is right or
> not. However, your point was valid, gGo was now showing a score that
> differes from IGS score, if there were false eyes. So gGo will now skip
the
> false-eye-detection (so same code as before) and only use it in the SGF
editor.

> Basically, it does not matter which score gGo calculates. Even if it says

I know :) After all, I did write the Ambassador :)

> +500, the server will score the game itself. In earlier versions I did not
> show the score in IGS games at all, as I thought it might be better to
leave
> this completely to the server. But as several people requested this
feature
> to see the score and territory during the scoring process, I enabled it.
Of

The reason why I like to see the score counted during scoring and not only
afterwards is that it is easier and faster to notice when all the dead
stones have been removed. This is why I would also like to see a dame count
shown -  one would never accidently press 'done' if the dame count is
something like 42 :)  - when I play with the Ambassador (well, nowdays I
don't really bother to boot the emulator that often so I rarely use it even
though it still is the best thing since sliced bread :)), I always check the
number of dame on the board visually and then compare it to the dame count
Ambassador tells me. This has often helped me to notice a single prisoner
not removed.

> course, this runs the risk of gGo showing not the real IGS score, but I
> think the scorer was doing fine before the false-eye detection, and we
will
> be back to that again. Nevertheless, keep in mind it is absolutely

Yes, it was working fine, and as it was doing exactly what IGS does
(counting points in seki etc.), it was perfect. What ever the IGS thinks the
score is after the users press their 'done' buttons is what the client
should tell the player the score will be before he presses 'done'. Anything
else will just be confusing for the user.

> However, in the SGF editor it makes some sense in my eyes, as I recall
> cursing about some games I reviewed with gGo and CGoban2, while gGo was
> showing a wrong score while CGoban2 got the false eyes properly. The game
> records ended with false eyes being unfilled. I wanted to fix this, as it
is
> somewhat ugly in the SGF editor.

The problem with the false-eye-detector is that it does not work properly at
the moment - it (sometimes) treats valid poits as dame, so you need to do
some fixing there.

> > Oh, yes, the good old bug is back and more severe than ever:
> >
> > At the moment it looks like I need to write 'refresh' in the terminal
> > window (practically) every time I take white stones, otherwise the
black's
> > first move won't show. I do have rather slow connection to IGS, btw.
>
> This is still bugging me seriously because I cannot find the reason for
> this, and it occurs very randomly for me.
> I played a couple of games with gGo 0.3 on Linux, all White (as usual
> <toggle irony off>), and the first black move has shown up properly.
> I made some testing and asked a friend to use a faster client (so his
board
> pops up seconds before my Java board appears), and instantly do his black
> move. This way gGo always got the move during the process of opening the
> board window. In all cases the black stone got displayed once the window
was
> ready. However, I tested this all on Linux where I hardly got that bug in
> the past anyways, I will do the same on Windows later.
>
> I am not sure if the connection speed matters. I doubt there is much speed
> difference between an analog modem and DSL/cable for the IGS
communication,
> except you have some ISP-side lag.

Basicly I meant lag - as I use (usually) a gprs-modem, the latency I
experience is quite high. But this can't really be the reason for the
problem as the 'refresh board' menu item shows the black's first move, but
doesn't allow me to make a move as the client doesn't realize that black has
moved even though the move is there (w/o the last move indicator). (That
menu item only refreshes the board locally and doesn't send aything to IGS,
right?)

--
Jarkko Lindblad
jarkkojpl@xxxxxxxxxxx