[ggcsquicksig] Re: Another prob

  • From: bcbloch@xxxxxxxx
  • To: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:36:55 -0700

Hi Chris...
If you download your banks transactions first, I assume you then go
through the downloaded transactions and accept them.  I recommend that no
one should use the "accept all" option for downloaded transactions.

It doesn't take that long to accept them one by one to make sure the
categories are correct and that the amounts are the same as your manual
record of the checks, if you have them.  If you use Bill Pay, there will
be an entry in the register that describes the payment (e.g., to PG&E on
the date Bill Pay sent it), to which you can match the downloaded cleared
transaction.  This manual checking will help you eliminate duplicate
entries to the register, too.

The payment to the credit card should be categorized as a TRANSFER, with
the credit card account shown between square brackets in the Category
field.  (e.g.: "[VISA1234]")

Then, when you download the credit card transactions, again manually
accept each one.  When you come to the payment, it will find the transfer
transaction (showing it came from your checking account), and you just
accept the match. It will not duplicate the transaction if it finds a
match.

As for previous duplications, go to the checking account, find the last
payment to the credit card.  Assuming it shows it as a transfer to the
credit card, highlight the Category field and press CTRL+X.  This will
take you to the transferred payment in the credit card account.  THAT is
the one to keep.  Just delete the duplicate.

The main reason to do this, is that if you delete the transfer
transaction, it will delete it in your checking account too, and that
will muck up your balance there!

NOTE:  The CTRL+X fast key is a QUICKEN fast key.  You need to set your
program options to use Quicken commands, not Windows commands (CTRL+X in
Windows is a delete!)

Babette