[ggcsquicksig] Addition TTax comment - Don't try to Delete Over-rides

  • From: "Babette" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SIGLIST" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:21:13 -0800

I forgot to mention this in yesterday's message.  (Something of a case of
Garbage In, Garbage out, also!)

If you need to change a TTax entry that was calculated by the program or
transferred from one form to another automatically (i.e., you list all
interest income on Sched. B and the total is transferred to the Fed 1040,)
you do so by using an OVER-RIDE function.  This is activated by right
clicking on the box you want to change and selecting "Over-ride" from the
right-click menu.

Later, if you want to change the over-ride item, DON'T TRY TO DO SO BY
MERELY USING THE DELETE KEY!  Right click on it again and select the option
to change the over-ride.

Using a mere delete key can muck up your results.

This is what was involved in the problem I had, for which TTax telephoned me
with help.

I had neglected to enter an interest payment that appeared on a K1
form.(Limited Partnership) (This was the garbage that never got in!)  If
entered, this amount and the Payee name would have been transferred by TTax
to the Schedule B, Interest received column.

When we realized it did not appear on Sched. B, I went back to the K1 form
and thought I saw the entry (the same amount was actually also reported for
another item on the original K1, and I'd missed the interest amount, in
another box.)  I couldn't understand why it wasn't transferring to Sched B.

So, I went to Sched B and entered it manually with an over-ride.

Then I went back to the K1 to ponder why it hadn't transferred the amount,
and realized I'd missed entering it in the appropriate box.  I did so and
then took a look at the Sched B and found I now had TWO entries for the same
interest item - one in red (for over-ride) and one in black, transferred
correctly from the new entry in the K1.  I tried to delete the over-ride
with the delete key, and BOTH interest entries disappeared!

I went back and forth several times.  Finally, I left the item blank on the
K1 (you can delete the regular way if it's an item you enter and that has
not been calculated or transferred by TT.)

During the call, we stepped through the whole process together, and lo, the
problem was that I had tried to delete the over-ride item with the delete
key.  Once the tech told me to use the right click command, everything
straightened out!