[ggc-urantialist] Re: Golden Gate Circle (SF Bay Area) Weekend Bulletin 2/16/13

  • From: Bohohwymus@xxxxxxx
  • To: ggc-urantialist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ggc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, socadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:44:41 -0500 (EST)

GOLDEN GATE  CIRCLE
WEEKEND BULLETIN:
February 16,  2013

Mustard Fields in Spring, Sonoma County

Upcoming  Local and U.S. Events
The  2013  Vancouver  Island Urantia Friends Campout
Campout  at Miracle  Beach! August 5 - 9, 2013.  Miracle Beach is located
on the east coast of Vancouver Island. This is a  beautiful space and the
ocean here is spectacular! For further information  contact
_nebadon373@hotmail.com_ (mailto:nebadon373@xxxxxxxxxxx) .
The  Urantia Book Fellowship IC ‘14
Join us from July 23-27, 2014, at University of Massachusetts –  Amherst,
for an International Conference to activate and celebrate  our personal
journeys toward God as revealed in the Urantia  Book.
The theme of IC'14  is  "Grow  Godward," and the program  celebrates our
many approaches to spiritual growth. IC'14 is designed as a  fellowship of
believers from around the world and across generations: parents  and children,
grandparents and grandchildren, young adults and teenagers,  longtime
readers of  The Urantia Book and curious friends  and relatives. Learn lots
more
at _ic14.org_
(http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001EQ-PKGD3r1K0KIIZ2IuRC6wwGL86GAi7cHwfpnAmzQZfIxm-_pJpona2WDWZto9rQZEC3VpkCQwgpNGHVkqqGTmW47mMQgpe)
  and to
submit a workshop or activity submit a proposal by January 1,  2014.
Get up-to-the-minute  info by linking the IC'14 Facebook page.
Info about  registration, pricing packages, and scholarships will be
available this summer.  Conferences can be expensive, so we are working up as
many
options as possible  to make IC'14 affordable.
Keep checking the  website for exciting updates on our flexible new
conference program, our YouTube  Film Festival, the awesome Truthseekers
program,
participation by all the  societies, our special social day on Sunday and
lots  more!
There is a great  team working to create a dynamic, relevant, fun,
eye-opening, and powerful  conference for all. Contact Angela Thurston,
conference
chair, at _chair@ic14.org_ (mailto:chair@xxxxxxxx)   to get in  touch.
Pictures  from the General Council Meeting, Los Angeles CA:
(Cece,Stephen)
Thomas  Orjala, Charlene Morrow, Kailas Orjala
Leadership  Opportunity with Golden Gate Circle UB Society
Please contact me know if you would like to fulfill a leadership role  with
Golden Gate Circle Urantia Fellowship Society. You can reply to me at email
_bohohwymus@aol.com_ (mailto:bohohwymus@xxxxxxx) , or call 925-689-2228.
The office of President is open  beginning spring of next year.

Why are the Chinese so sad?
They  are four times richer than they were 20 years ago, yet they find
their lives  lack meaning and direction
by Mitch Moxley on  Monday, February 4, 2013 (from Maclean’s  magazine,
excerpted)
The Chinese have an expression to  describe coping with hardship: chi ku—to
eat bitterness. …  It’s been more than 30 years since Chinese leader Deng
Xiaoping opened the  country and the Communist party embraced the mantra “to
get rich is glorious.” …  But despite China’s economic miracle, recent
studies suggest Chinese aren’t any  happier than they were in the early 1990s—
the result of an income-inequality gap  that has grown to a chasm … While
getting rich is still glorious in China today,  officials are busy trying to
appease a dissatisfied populace by belatedly  addressing corruption and the
country’s growing list of social and environmental  maladies. …
China’s government has taken note  of the people’s melancholy, making
happiness a key part of the next five-year  development plan and promising to
tackle non-economic quality-of-life factors  such as health care, education,
housing and the environment. … Hu [Xingdou,  economics professor] argues that
China has lost its spiritual  centre—Confucianism, especially, is a
conservative philosophy that guides an  individual’s ethical behaviour within a
community—and that the quest for wealth  has filled the void. “Chinese people
don’t believe in anything,” Hu says. “Money  worship dominates, and this is
the biggest factor contributing to  corruption.”
Chinese born after 1990, in  particular, are learning that life is about
more than just earning a buck.  “Post-’90s Chinese care more about their
quality of life, leisure time and  work-life balance rather than money,” Gao
[Wei, sociology professor] says. “This  is a good trend.” Many Chinese are
also looking for spiritual meaning beyond the  pursuit of wealth and material
possessions. Confucianism and Taoism have both  undergone revivals here in
recent years and a growing number of Chinese are  turning to Buddhism, which
has an estimated 300 million followers in China, for  spiritual guidance.
_http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/02/04/why-are-the-chinese-so-sad/_
(http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/02/04/why-are-the-chinese-so-sad/)
"We go to the river's  edge for comfort, spiritual renewal, meditation,
solitude; we go to the river to  feel and know the continuance of life." -
Henry David Thoreau
i thank  You God for most this amazing
by e. e.  cummings

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the  leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for  everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have  died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the  birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening  illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing  seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely  being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake  and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

Thanks for  tuning in and reading our news. And please -- Stay tuned!
Dave Holt, Communications Chair for GGC

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image