[georgianbents] Re: [hpta]: CHIN registration

  • From: <HICKS.TJ@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:15:32 -0400

The HPTA group seems to be the mothership list that encompasses all of southern
Ontario, from Barrie in the north, Ottawa to the east, and London to the south.
 The membership includes at least one person from the HPVOoO, GB, Toronto HPV,
the velo guys, the RCO as well as individuals sort of "orphaned" and not
officially in any "group".  With anything being passed in the HPTA, it should
automatically be forwarded to all the other lists by the representative
(official or otherwise) from the other groups.  I know any time the HPTA
organizes something, I pass it on to the GB list, but as Joe, Bob and Les are
also members of the GB list, they often poost it there themselves.  There's no
reason that anyone on this list should know someone with a bent that doesn't
know anything about any of the Ontario groups, events, websites or lists.
Every time I meet someone on a bent, I give them URLs and email addresses and I
tell them about all the little groups, the events, rides, races, etc.  If they
choose not to contact any of the web resources, that's their choice - at least
the effort was made to include them.  While not everyone has net access, I give
them my phone number instead.  It's too easy to talk about what I should have
done, but it's easier still to just do it in the first place.  I can talk about
promotion and advocacy, but if I meet another bent rider or people that are
interested and do nothing, then I need to shut up about it.  That's just my
take on it for myself.

I understand that not everyone has the luxury of taking time off when they want
to, and then there's just plain old "life happens" and that's too bad.
Especially for rare events like this with the official recognition of the bents
AND the possiblity of such huge public exposure.  I think it could be a golden
opportunity for anyone selling bents too.  In the end, if the requisite number
don't show up for each class race, a mixed race could always be held instead.
That would flesh out the field a bit, but for an opportunity like this, I am
doing whatever it takes to make sure that I have something to ride in each
race.  For me, that meant driving two and a half hours to Toronto and back to
pick up the Versatile that Ray offered me to race for Bluevelo on Saturday.