[geogebra-translators] Sustainability of GeoGebra

  • From: "Markus Hohenwarter" <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Markus Hohenwarter" <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:32:14 -0400

Dear colleague,

this July we attended the ICME conference in Mexico which was very
successful. However, we encountered some criticism from commercial
software developers. It was suggested that the development of
open-source software is not sustainable solely by a user community. We
would like to reflect on these issues and write a report describing
the work that has been done in local communities, especially in
communities where access to software resources is limited. We would be
grateful if you could send us a short (2-3 pages) description of your
activities and how GeoGebra impacted the use of technology and quality
of mathematics teaching and learning in your institutions and/or
countries to markus@xxxxxxxxxxxx or zsolt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It would be great if you could write about:

1. Your past and current activities, and your future plans concerning
the use of GeoGebra
2. How do you think open-source software impacted mathematics teaching
and learning in your institution/country?
3. What are the benefits of using open-source software in mathematics
teaching, learning, and teacher education in your institution/country?

Also, if you have written any papers/reports describing your
activities please send them to us if possible. We would love to
include them in the publication list on the GeoGebra website (see
http://www.geogebra.org/en/wiki/index.php/Publications). Also, if you
know about any papers/reports about GeoGebra that are not included in
this list could you please send us a reference?

Your contributions would be an enormous help for us and it could
greatly improve the credibility of GeoGebra and assist the
sustainability of our project.

During the upcoming year, we hope to submit some grant proposals to be
able to assist GeoGebra activities around the world. If you have any
ideas please share them with us and if you need any help for applying
for funding let us know and we will try to assist you.

Thank you so much for your support!

Kind regards,
Markus and Zsolt

Markus Hohenwarter, markus@xxxxxxxxxxxx