[geocentrism] Re: poundal

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:44:50 +1000

Neville.  said   Isn't it a lb-wt (pound-weight)?

 You are correct.  I confused  the poundal as the unit of Mass.. So wrong.

On checking my 1918, revised 1948 Duncan & Starling, I rediscovered that the
unit of mass was pound avoirdupois  and was the quantity of matter contained in
a standard piece of platinum preserved in London.

 How could I make such an error .. I'm hiding under the table in shame...

Here is what D & S states.

For many practical purposes the weight of the unit of mass is employed as the
unit of force, but this is not strictly scientific.  the units were gram weight
, and pound weight lb.wt.  as you showed.

The Absolute unit of force and thus weight is the poundal .  Which is the force
required to accelerate one lb.wt. one ft.per second.

Thanks for giving me the incentive to lift ye old heavy and worn book down from
the shelf for a refresher course..  You can guess I am antagonistic to using
persons names for units..  Even though now I am forced to use Hz instead of
cycles per second..  Its disgusting. .