[geocentrism] Re: polar orbits.

  • From: "Gary Shelton" <garylshelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:38:15 -0600

Philip,

Is "Twiddle twaddle" an official Aussie word?

ha.

Anyway, the main nit-pick wasn't about the term "geostationary" though that
is what you say you meant.  But rather about the "it" in your question,
'What stopped it?'  I thought you were referring to the orbit itself, but
you meant the satellite I see.

That's great, but it brings up another question back at you.  If in your
mental exercise the satellite was doing a polar route and then we "nudged"
the thing 90 degrees to make it a geostationary/equatorial orbit, you ask
'What stopped it?'.

I'm a bit mixed up, perhaps, but I think this is the wrong question.  You
wrote,

"It is no longer moving..... That is if the earth is indeed stationary...."

But, Philip, if the earth is indeed still as we all hold to here, then that
would cause the thing to streak across the sky, I would imagine...not stop.
Only if the earth were rotating would you be expecting it to move, seems to
me.

I also want to throw in again a question that has raised its head here
before.  Can they get these birds to orbit westwardly?  That would be
interesting in itself, I feel.

In any case, in your mental exercise I should think we would see your
satellite either doing, or not doing, figure 8's as it passed through the
geosynchronous region of orbits well before the question of what happens to
it once it reaches the Equator, yes?

I wish I had the geo answer for the figure 8 issue.

Sincerely,

Gary Shelton