[geocentrism] Re: Moon Hoax and Heliocentricity

  • From: "Glover, Rob" <Rob.Glover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:09:42 +0100

"The story I always heard was they left on July 16, 1969 in 1st Quarter
phase of the moon, and splashed down some eight days later.  Forgetting the
radiation show-stopper for this essay, the other facts I heard as a kid when
they would invariably and irritatingly interrupt my cartoons (I'm 44 now)
were that the craft travelled at 20,000 mph and they took 84 hours to get to
the moon and another 84 hours to get back. "

Not quite. The Apollo Spacecraft didn't travel at a continuous speed the
whole time, as it left the Earth at the beginning of the translunar coast,
the speed was about 24,300 mph, but  the Earth's gravity worked on it after
that to slow it down even as it travelled outwards. By the time it got to
210,000 miles out from the Earth, Apollo has slowed to 2,000mph, but then
the Moon's gravity started to make it's presence felt and the spacecraft
began to accelerate towards the Moon. By the time it was ready to go into
Lunar orbit, the speed had reached 5600mph relative to the Moon, the burn
into Lunar Orbit then slowed it again to a 3600 mph lunar orbit.

"BUT HOW?  1st Quarter phase means (in the h-people world) that the moon is
exactly trailing the earth in the earth's orbit around the sun and therefore
travelling through space at the same or similar 66,000 mph as the earth does
around the sun.  This means that as Apollo 11 left the earth for the moon at
20,000 mph, the moon was simultaneously coming to them at 66,000 mph."

No it wasn't. You haven't understood the relative velocities here. The Moon
is orbiting the Earth at a tangential velocity of 2300 mph, and the combined
system is orbiting the Sun at 66,000 mph relative to the Sun. The Moon does
have a slight variation in it's orbit round the Earth, so it does approach
and recede from the Earth as it orbits, but it approaches and recedes at
quite slow speeds, nothing like 66,000 mph. That is the speed that the
combined system is going round the Sun.

(Strictly speaking, the Moon is not orbiting the Earth. The Moon is quite a
big body, and in fact the Earth and Moon jointly rotate round a point in
between called the Barycenter. However this is only a couple of thousand
miles from the centre of the Earth.)

"This combined speed was 86,000 mph.  And the distance separating the moon
and the earth is taught to us at about 250,000 miles.  So I ask again:  How
did it take 84 hours to get to the moon?  It should have only taken 4 hours.
What were the astronauts doing all these extra 80 hours?  This is a puzzle,
is it not?"

No, for the reasons given above. The Moon was never approaching the Apollo
spacecraft at anything like that speed.

"Still, a bigger puzzle occurs for the return trip.  The moon is moving
between 1st Quarter and Full Phases now, and the major factual change is
that the destination object, the earth, is no longer coming at the
astronauts as the moon was originally.  It is in fact moving away from them.
At the very most generous, one might say the earth and moon were moving
parallel to each other at this time, as they would during Full Phase.  But
the earth is clearly not heading toward the returning astronauts.  (Keep in
mind I am using a simple circular path of the moon around the earth as my
basis for this hypothesis.) "

For the same reasons given above, the Moon was not 'coming at' the
spacecraft origininally in the sense you meant, i.e. at 66,000 mph. I think
you have the idea that when the Moon is waxing, it is coming nearer the
Earth, and when it's waning,it is receding from the Earth. It isn't. If it
was, you'd see it getting bigger in the sky!

"So, the question is thus:  How does it take the same amount of time for the
return trip as it did to reach the moon?  There are very different factors
to take into account if you are a heliocentrist."

No they are not. The factors you speak of are a result of your not
understanding relative speeds.

"It is almost laughable to think that the astronauts could have left the
surface of the moon travelling at a puny 20,000 mph and trying to catch an
earth moving at 66,000 away from them.  Wouldn't this be akin to a fast
runner trying to catch a faster moving car, that is already going highway
speed and is already twelve hours' distant from the runner when the runner
takes off?  How does this runner catch the car?  Likewise, how did the
astronauts catch the earth? Was it the "Slingshot Method"?"

The Apollo spacecraft did not leave the Moon at 20,000 mph. The Transearth
injection maneuver increased the spacecraft speed to 5,500 mph approaching
the Earth. As it drew nearer the Earth, the Earth's gravity pulled on it to
increase the speed of Apollo until by th time it hit the top of the
atmosphere, it was travelling at 25,000 mph. I strongly recommend you get a
basic book about space exploration, your understanding of how Apollo got to
the Moon and back is very flawed.

"I believe the simple truth is that we never went to the moon with Apollo.
"

If this is your only reason, it is a false one. Try another.

Regards,
Rob.