[geocentrism] Re: [Geocentric] Pagan concepts

  • From: "Martin G. Selbrede" <mselbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:44:45 -0600

Philip,

My fault for using the NIV that one time (I usually go Authorised Version or translate directly). It was a matter of convenience because the NIV expressed verse 15 (my point of interest) so clearly. You are, of course, completely correct in regards to verse 16 and "monogenes."

Which brings to mind an interesting circumstance that Warfield discussed in relation to the Hort-Westcott text versus the Textus Receptus on the matter of John 1:18. Warfield supports "only- begotten God," or perhaps more syntactically correct, "God only- begotten." He doesn't regard this as heretical (a usual knee-jerk reaction) on the grounds that verse 18 is merely combining predicates already affirmed in verse 1 (Jesus is God) and verse 14 (Jesus is only-begotten). Because "only-begotten God" is a patently extraordinary reading, it was Warfield's view that scribes softened this to "only-begotten Son," and that the startling original was consequently muffled. This means (surprisingly) that this is one instance of where the revised version of the Bible supports the divinity of Christ better than the Authorised Version. (Of course, the question isn't, "which version suppports Christ's divinity better," but rather, "what did the inspired author actually write?" We shouldn't let the tail wag the dog.) Another curious miscue of the Authorised Version is its handling of Joel 2:22-23, where a Messianic prophecy is suppressed (substituting "send the rain moderately" versus "send the Teacher of Righteousness"). And so it goes...

Thanks, again, for the perceptive observation, Philip!

Martin

On Jan 31, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Phillip Stott wrote:

Martin,

I usually find little fault with your posts. However I have serious objections to your translation:-

"Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life, for God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Now the Greek for your "one and only" is "monogenes", which could be translated in modern idiom as "one genetic", and which in the Authorised is "only begotten". I do not see how it can be translated "one and only" and if it were, then surely there is a problem with the earlier promise in the same book that He gives the power to become sons of God to all who believe in Him. Now if Jesus is the only begotten Son there is no contradiction, with one and only there is a problem.

Neville,

It appears that you reject the Old Testament, and particularly Moses' contributions to it.

Do you accept the New Testament? In particular do you accept the Gospels? If so, then how do you answer Jesus' warning that those who do not believe Moses' writings will not believe Him either?

Now I am fully aware that there are "Higher Critics" who claim that Moses wrote nothing - some claim that writing was not even invented till well after his era. But it is clear that the five books of Moses were part of the Hebrew scriptures in Jesus' lifetime, that Jesus accepted them, and believed them to be written by Moses.

Blessings

Philip Stott

PS
Some of the recent posts have reminded me of a statement by a man of God who I respect greatly. "Show me the God who acts the way you think He should, and I will show you the fool of your imagination

Blessings

Philip Stott

Martin G. Selbrede
Chief Scientist
Uni-Pixel Displays, Inc.
8708 Technology Forest Place, Suite 100
The Woodlands, TX 77381
281-825-4500 main line (281) 825-4507 direct line (281) 825-4599 fax (512) 422-4919 cell
mselbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / martin.selbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxx