[geocentrism] Re: Encountering a spinning atmosphere

  • From: "Gary Shelton" <garylshelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:54:26 -0600

[Dr. Jones wrote:]
I will repeat what I asked before. Consider an air molecule.
He's merrily going
around with the atmosphere, which is itself rotating with the World. God, of
course, started it all spinning nicely [sic] and saw that it was "very good"
[sic]. A wind springs up, due to thermal variations caused by the rate of
heating of different parts of the land and sea. Suddenly our molecule collides
with a wind molecule, and ends up going in a totally different direction. WHAT
IS IT THAT IS GOING TO BRING OUR MOLECULE BACK INTO LINE?

The Homer Simpsons might say "angular momentum," but that does not apply to a
gas. They might say, "the conservation of linear momentum," but that is a
misconception (as the "Laws of Physics" page tries to explain).

[Gary writes:]

I believe, Dr. Jones, they would say "friction".  Friction with the turning
earth below, possibly, for down low winds.  Or friction with the atmosphere
TURNING AS A WHOLE, due the fact it has had time to stabilize as Philip stated.

Also, my point in the thread hasn't been addressed yet.  Basically put, it was
a proof question.  Restated: wouldn't it afford proof of rotation or
non-rotation if a spacecraft returning from, say, Mars entered the earth's
atmosphere?  That is, wouldn't the craft strike (if using a head on approach)
either rotating or non-rotating air and thus establish the truth of the
situation?

BTW, thank you for your comforting words.  Yes, I was battered then.  Dobber
down badly.
I learned a lot, though, on the BA.

Sincerely,

Gary