[GeoStL] Re: selective availability

  • From: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:13:20 -0600

Susan,

There's been a lot of discussion about that on the satellite-nav newsgroup.
Apparently something was published in Germany that said SA would be turned back
on so the accuracy of the on board navigation of the cars would be effected.

But, nothing from the US has been confirmed and it seems to be the opinion that
it will NOT be on again. When it was turned off in 2000, it was stated that it
will NEVER be turned on again, and I'm sure they realized there would be wars
in the future. But then again, they can change their minds whenever they want.

Before SA was turned off, the accuracy was between 200-300 feet, or 100 meters
so that's probably right. I'd guess they were kidding about 100 meters is what
it is now, because we can get into areas when the satellites we pick up are not
optimal.

Also mentioned was the fact that the satellites could be programmed to force
errors (SA on?) in one part of the world (Middle East) but not another part
(US). Don't know if this is true but I'd sure think it's possible.

Rich