[GeoStL] Re: What is the definition of a confluence or river mouth?

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 20:11:54 -0600

-
Already did that.  The Corps of Engineers has mile marker 0 in Grafton.  The
24K USGS map is not real clear but it also appears to show it in Grafton.
The USGS electronic NHD data shows it at Calhoun Point where the rivers
actually meet for the first time.  So what I am looking for is some official
definition.  Besides answering some questions about the long hike to the
overlook to make sure people go up there (talk about a great view!), I am
going to ask them to put in their log where they think the confluence
actually is and why.  My preference is to have some kind of official
definition to apply to the situation.  But if I cannot find one, I will let
them just say what they think.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

from this