[GeoStL] Re: Wed class

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:52:43 -0600

- Hi Steve,

I got the blast, and understood it and what was going on. No problem here. But as a fellow tech geek, I do need to run a peer review on your logic.

Spammers are getting more creative. The folks that sell lists get a premium for "real" email addresses rather than stale or ones orphaned because of changing providers etc. So they took to the practice of using the list to send junk. If they didn't get a reject like you, they knew it was a good address and could get a premium for a list that was made up of "good" addresses. This was a pain, but it was not a killer.

The killer comes from those who mask the origin of the email. These people send an email to an address that they know is bad, but they put the real recipient in the "Reply-To" header in the email, so when the bad address reject message comes with the original message as an attachment, they are delivering it to the party they originally intended, making it look like they had sent the original message anyway. Thus they get past some spam filters, and also increase the chances of the email being opened because they think that there was something wrong with something they actually sent.

Because of this, many email administrators have turned off the option that sends "bad recipient" messages so their servers are not unwittingly becoming spam distribution centers. So not getting a reject no longer means that the address is good. It just means that the another aspect of the courteous world of yore has been corrupted by spammers.

I do thank you for the notice you did send. I wish I could have attended.

Mike

Steve Bromley wrote:

Bernie,

Since I don't read this list regularly any longer, someone had to tell me that you had made a comment that I needed to address.  The email blast was sent out on Monday night to all members (not just Premium members).  The email did not bounce from your listed email address so it went to somewhere and it was accepted.  I suggest that you check your Spam filter to see if it is there.  I can monitor and am aware of any email that cannot be sent or bounces from an account and your email was not one of them.

Sorry you felt letdown.  The email was sent to a valid email address.  I have no control on if you receive it.  This email list is not an official communication venue for SLAGA and never has been. The only way we have to reach our membership is by the email addresses that are maintained in our membership database.  If they are incorrect, it is beyond our control.  If you feel the need to further discuss this, please do so via my email address at: slagapresident@xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks.

Steve Bromley, SLAGA President