[GeoStL] Re: Warning message from Internet Explorer???

  • From: Michael Chambers <michaelc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA Geocaching List <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:18:14 -0600

-
This message is an ad for anti-spybot software that you have to purchase. It is generated by that product's company looking into your hard drive when you visited a web site that they advertise on, and they probably did find spybots on your computer. These are programs that different web sites put on your computer to report your browsing activities, and Lord knows what else. They do this continuously, and if you have dozens of them doing this, they will take up all of your CPU time, and this causes your computer to take longer and longer to do the things that you are asking it to do.

To get rid of them all, I swear by Spybot S&D. This is freeware, and I heard about it from a computer guru on KMOX last Summer. I recommend it to everyone who I hear is having a problem with their computer running slower and slower while on the internet. The first person I recommended it to found 73 spybots on his computer, and it had been crawling along - even with a DSL line. You will be amazed at how much it speeds things up to get rid of all the Spybots that you're probably infested with. Here's the link.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=home

Good luck,
Leanman

Eric and Dayna East wrote:

Subject: [GeoStL] Warning message from Internet Explorer???

I've gotten this message several times in past weeks & was wondering if
it is for real of if it's someone wanting to cause me grief. I suspect
the latter. What do you all think?

Thanks & God bless!

Eric

Warning. Important Message!!!

 You are seeing this message, because we have detected that you have
tracking software installed in your machine. (more info)

This is not a virus, but a program in your machine that monitors ...........