[GeoStL] Re: Virus Attacks

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 05:48:00 -0600

-
I have gotten exactly the same letter from swbell, the geocachingAdmin site and a few others. It spoofs the return address to make you think that it is official letter. They are all virus loaded. As mike said, do not open any attachments.
glenn

At 09:48 PM 3/3/2004, Mike Griffin wrote:

I thought I had posted this earlier but here's the scoop..

You will receive an email from someone at whatever.com that says your email account has a problem. Open the attached zip file which, may or may not be password protected, and follow those instructions. Once you open the archived file, it's too late.. You will get a "Salad" of viruses.

Folks, I cannot stress enough, DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS FROM ANYONE UNLESS YOU REQUESTED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Virus scanners will not pick up password protected archive files.

I have gotten them from griffweb.com

Here is the text...

Dear user of e-mail server "Griffweb.com",

We  warn you  about  some attacks on  your e-mail account. Your computer may
contain  viruses, in order to keep your computer and e-mail account  safe,
please, follow  the instructions.

For details see the attached file.

In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: 78228.

Have a good day,
The Griffweb.com team <http://www.griffweb.com>http://www.griffweb.com
It's funny because Griffweb.com is my own domain! If you use Charter or whatever, you will get a similar message.. Today at work we had over 6000 emails in less than an hour with Zip attachments.

Serious stuff folks!

Mike