[GeoStL] US F&W funds and State Areas

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:27:22 -0500

-
I spoke with John Vogel today at Busch and he told me that the state ban on
geocaching in Michigan and Kentucky or Ohio was discussed at his meeting in
Jeff City. He was told by some other land managers that they thought Geocachers
were damaging to nesting areas and hunting areas. He defended us by saying that
mushroom hunters or hikers cause the same problems and we cannot ban them.
Thank You John!

He brought up the story that was on NPR with the archeology site that had a
buried geocache. Its the negative things that will kill this sport. He also
thought that there were a few caches at Busch that were placed without
permission. I think all of them are OK out there and he wasn't too concerned.
However, if you have a cache out there and you have not updated your permission
form in the last 6 months, make it a point to do so at the picnic. I promised
him that we would follow their guidelines for all our caches.

I obtained permission to place a permanent cache out at Busch. SP2K3-5 will
become the permanent cache when the picnic is over. It will go under the SLAGA
account.

The caches that will be available for the picnic as a temp find logged under
the event page will be SP2K3-1 thru 4. You can log #5 either as a temp under
the event or wait until it becomes permanent and log it as "Tour of Busch Multi
Cache" by SLAGA.

I have SP2K3-1, SP2K3-2 and SP2K3-3 placed. Friday, I will finish 4 and 5.

Thanks for your support,
Mike