[GeoStL] Thomas Jefferson School Geocaching

  • From: "Timothy Hunt" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:28:45 -0500

-
OK, I *really* need some firm responses here...

I need to present some possible dates to the school.  We can do this
all on a single saturday, and that will make it easier.  Free lunch
included!

Looking at the SLAGA calendar, and comparing it with the schools,
there are two possible dates we could do in the near future.

Date 1) September 23rd.  Advantages: soon, keeps excitement going,
weather still going to be pleasant.

Date 2) Oct 28th: Advantages - a little more time to plan, and
students have just finished their first quarter exams (disadvantage -
teachers here will be busy grading papers).

My preference is storngly for the 23rd if we can make it happen,
largely because I don't think we'll get the staff buy-in on the 28th,
and if we don't do it by then, it would have to wait until spring.

What I'd like to do is run it essentially as a Geocaching 101 course,
using the resources of people who are familiar with that way of doing
things.

There will be a lunch (free!) at 11am (I think - I need to double
check the time of the Satuday lunch)

Then I'll need up to 6 or so volunteers, with GPSrs.  Additional GPSrs
to borrow would be appreciated.  After lunch, we'd head out to
wherever we selected the caches.  There are several in Laumeier park,
a goodly number in White Cliff park, and quite a few in Emmeneger park
too (with travel bugs!)

The hunting would be done in groups, and a typical group I expect to
be One TJ staff member, one  SLAGA member (opposite sexes if
possible), and 4 students.  I'm putting a limit on 20 students, but as
that is fully 25% of the student population, I don't really expect to
have nearly that many students.  Having enough adults to run smaller
groups would be great though.

There will be wireless network access at the school, so that shoudl
present no problem.

*PLEASE* can I have some feedback as to if you can make it this day,
and especially if you are experienced in presenting a geocaching 101
class...

Thanks.

Timothy