[GeoStL] Re: Street navigator

  • From: "Jim Williams" <jim.williams2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 00:40:51 -0600

-
My wife and I just spent quite a bit of time looking at the different
models.  They all pretty much do the same thing.  The Garmins seemed to be
easier to use out of the box.  But the least expensive Garmin we could find
locally was $400 on sale at Bass Pro.  Radio Shack just had a sale on an
older version Magellan (Roadmate 300) which was $200, which is what we ended
up with.  It's a little more complex to operate, but it works great once you
learn the controls.  It came with a 2 MB sd card with the current US maps
loaded on it for free.  In this case I went the cheap route.  It was hard
for me to spend $500-$1000 for something that does 1/10 of what a regular
GPS will do, except talk to you :)  We've tested it pretty thoroughly,
re-routing, alternate routes, wrong turns, etc.  It's performed perfectly on
all of them, so we're happy.

Jim