[GeoStL] Rich's suspicious activity

  • From: Jeff the Blue Bead Man <bluebeadman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:50:07 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-
Very funny Rich!  You went a L-O-N-G way for that one...but I think I know =
how I will open class tomorrow.  I'll tell this joke, you see, about this s=
uspicious lady down on the beach...   :-)

It will be the perfect ending to our weeklong GPS / Geocaching activities. =
 Yes!  I actually had my 8th graders geocaching this week!  Actually, we we=
re learning about the Age of Exploration and Dias, da Gama, Columbus, Magel=
lan and others sailing into uncharted territories, etc.  I had the kids spl=
it into groups.  Each group then created their own "country" complete with =
a flag, country name, and "secret code" motto.  Then they hid their "countr=
ies."  Actually, each "country" was a green ammo box.  Students used a GPS =
to figure out where they hid their own "country" and then after I collected=
 all of the hidden coordinates, students had to use their GPS units to expl=
ore the "unknown" world to find each other's country.  All I gave them were=
 the coordinates and hints given by their classmates.  The kids had such a =
great time doing this lesson that they will never forget about the importan=
t concepts of the Age of Exploration.  They will not forget about how to ac=
tually use latitude and longitude, and most important of all, (grin) I now =
know of about a hundred students, or at least most of them, which will be b=
ugging their parents to go out and buy GPS units to go geocaching.  The kid=
s LOVED it, and they learned quite a bit. =20

Rich's little joke will be the perfect topper to this week of GPS fun.  Tha=
nks Rich!
Subject field