[GeoStL] Re: Reverse Waypoints

  • From: "RNX" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:26:44 -0400

-
i don't know the name you are looking for, but i do know the reason for the
phenominom; Projections are along great circles. Great circles are lines
around the earth that bisect the sphere of the planet. The plane of all great
circles pass directly through the center of the core of the earth (all
longitudes and the equator are examples of great circles).

If you are projecting due north or due south then the reverse bearing and
distance should bring you back to your starting point. If your projection has
an east or west component, then the projection, which follows a great circle,
will drift toward the equator.

I can't answer the question why projections follow great circles. It's a
function of the definition. Perhaps a navigator of aircraft or navy vessels
may be able to add some insight to the "why".