[GeoStL] Re: Private Property Caches

  • From: "tnands" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:16:37 -0600

-

Truly one of THE BEST quotes ever attributed to a person with enough
throw-away income able to afford a GPSr.  (I'm hesitant to use the word
geocacher at this point)

"It's fun. It's not like the GPS takes you right to this cache. You have to
have common sense and smarts to figure out where it is - what it's there
for. I 've discovered that I really don't like urban caching. I'd rather do
it in the woods. That's where it's really fun," he said.

And, OF COURSE, following in logic of the previous taser/gun post. It's just
NOT HIS FAULT -- it's the fault of 28,827 other people:

" Lord said he wished other members of the gaming community - called
geocachers - had tipped him off that a Shaw's makes for a poor location
choice."

And , finally, because this little hobby needs more people just like this:

" If anything, he hopes the publicity may generate more interest in
geocaching."

Nancy

  Wednesday, February 7, 2007
  Geocacher expresses regret over leaving box behind Shaw's
      document.title =
unescape("Geocacher%20expresses%20regret%20over%20leaving%20box%20behind%20S
haw%27s") + " - Fosters";
          By MICHAEL GOOT
Portsmouth Bureau Chief
mgoot@xxxxxxxxxxx

  PORTSMOUTH - Charles Lord never imagined his duct taping a metallic box
the size of an Altoids tin to an electrical panel behind the Shaw's
supermarket on Lafayette Road would cause such a fuss.

The 48-year-old printing press operator from Rochester said he was simply
taking part in a new computer-based hike-and-seek game that uses global
position systems to locate prizes.

Now he has nothing but regrets for the to-do he unintentionally caused with
emergency responders. It won't stop him from continuing to play the game,
though.

"I think there was a little overreaction," he said.

Relatively new to the game, Lord said he wished other members of the gaming
community - called geocachers - had tipped him off that a Shaw's makes for a
poor location choice. Geocaching rules prohibit people from placing caches
on private property without permission.

"I would have taken it down right away. But unfortunately that didn't happen
and this whole thing took place. I just heard my name on Channel 9. This is
my 15-minutes-of-fame that I did not want," he said.

Nevertheless, the incident has not soured him on the hobby, although he
plans to lay low until the spring.

"Besides, it's too cold," he said.

If anything, he hopes the publicity may generate more interest in
geocaching. "It's fun. It's not like the GPS takes you right to this cache.
You have to have common sense and smarts to figure out where it is - what
it's there for. I 've discovered that I really don't like urban caching. I'd
rather do it in the woods. That's where it's really fun," he said.

He said he has taken a considerable amount of hits from the online
community, which he understands.

"There is no excuse for ignorance of the rules. We all make mistakes. You
show me a person who hasn't made a mistake and I'll show you a liar," he
said.

All caches must be submitted to the geocaching website at
www.geocaching.com. Also, caches should never be placed on or near active
railroad tracks, military installations, U.S. National Park Service and Fish
and Wildlife Services property, highway bridges, dams, government buildings,
elementary and secondary schools and airports, according to the website.

Lord said he has also received supportive emails. People on the message
boards at geocaching.com expressed concern whether law enforcement
overreacted. Others did not want these incidents to spoil this hobby.

Lord learned police had confiscated his cache through the online community.
He contacted police and asked to have his cache returned to him. Lt. Rodney
McQuate emailed him back on Monday, telling him to come to the station or
call him. Shortly after this point, Lord said the story "exploded" in the
media.

He said he talked with police on Tuesday. He did not want to get into
details but said he would likely call back on Friday or Saturday to see if
there is a way to resolve the situation.

Sgt. Russell Russo confirmed police will speak with Lord in the next few
days but it is too early to say how the situation will be resolved.

Lord has been practicing the hobby for about three months and has a GPS
system in his car. While on vacation, he began surfing the Internet and
stumbled across geocaching. He found his first cache on Nov. 10 - the day
before Portsmouth Police found a cache near the Interstate 95 Piscataqua
River Bridge, so he did not hide that one.