[GeoStL] Our world has gone crazy!!!!!

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:39:14 -0700 (PDT)

-
Just a note relating something that happened to me last night that might have a
bit of relavence to our hobby "obsession".

I dropped by the UMR (University of MO at Rolla) campus last night to
photograph a plaque that is in the middle of all the college buildings. It is a
plaque commemorating a Civil War Fort that stood on the site and we are putting
together a display in the local museum on that subject. Anyway I was thinking
that it might be neat to place a cache in this area and show people some of the
historical aspects of the college. (It goes back to 1870) . Anyway I jumped out
of my car grabbed my camera and walked across campus to take the photo and I
noticed a UMR policeman standing outside one of the buildings. He said nothing
to me but just watched me walk over and take some photos. I walked back and
noticed he was talking to another policeman but still thought nothing of it. I
got in my truck and went home. This morning my wife who works for UMR got a
phone call and visit from the police asking why I was on campus taking
photographs and just what the heck was I up to? She told them an
 d they
 backed off but it seems that they thought I was a terrorist photographing and
casing the area for a possible bomb attack

I was also told that several people have actually been arrested for
photographing buildings and bridges and held for questioning. I never thought I
would live long enough to see our world become so paranoid

Keep this in mind when setting caches out or when when you are carrying your
camera near certain "important" buildings.

Dan (who is still looking over his shoulder) and who is thinking of going back
to photograph all the buildings next

Subject field