[GeoStL] Re: NGR-Make-a-wish

  • From: Sara Gomer <outdoorlady79@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:11:46 -0800 (PST)

-
We have a Garmin Streetpilot C550 that speaks street names and warns of high
congestion areas.  Very simple to use, but I think I like Mike's idea better
plus a laptop is more multifunctional.
Mike Griffin <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  -
I would get him a laptop and a gps with the software. This would allow him
to load tons of maps, place the GPS receiver in the back window and follow
along as he goes. If he loads the latest Streets and Trips, it talks as
well. You could have Mom's voice recorded for the files too so it would be a
familiar voice speaking the directions. Cool huh!

Mike

Tired of Spam??
Here's your solution..
See: http://www.spamarrest.com/affl?4001050

"Guys, the red thingy is heading for the green thingy. I think the green
thingy is us."
- Guy, from Galaxy Quest...
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:53 AM
Subject: [GeoStL] NGR-Make-a-wish

-
I received an email yesterday from a friend of mine who works with the
Make-a-Wish foundation. She wants some information about GPS systems. I
explained what I know but I decided to draw on the collective wisdom of this
group for some ideas. I have summarized several emails here to show what she
is thinking about and looking for. Reply to the list, I will collect and
summarize them and pass them along.

Thanks for your help.

***************

Hello, all. I am working on a wish for a little boy with a life-threatening
illness who loves mapping.

This little boy is only 6 -- but heavily into maps -- and understands them
really quite awesomely well.

Is that too young, do you think? Do GPS systems talk? He is way into
things that talk to him.

Someone else researched today and found a globe of some sort that talks at
you. Know anything about it?

I've heard of the GPS for the car -- how much do those run?
He wants to follow along as they drive to xxxxxxxxxxx (their preferred
choice of travel).

Can the GPS be put in the back, where he will be?

Anything you can learn would be great.

THANK YOU so much. You'll be helping a little boy who so deserves it!
:-)